So last Wednesday we were working on potty training and Mia had the sniffles so we decided to skip music class. Mia was eating raisins and Rudy (our dog) was sleeping on the couch. Mia went to get a raisin and on the way back over decided to lay her head on Rudy. He snapped and bit Mia in the face. At first I didn't think he actually bit her until I looked and saw blood everywhere. There was so much blood and I was freaking out. I grabbed a clean diaper and started to apply pressure. I grabbed my phone and called 9-1-1. I gave the operator my info and said that I had to go because I had to call my partner. I called Jenny and she came racing home. I waited for what seemed like forever for the ambulance to get here. Jenny got here at the same time. Mia and I went to the hospital with Jenny following behind us. Mia was screaming the whole time it was terrible. We got to the hospital and they came in and checked her out.
We came home to a happy dog who wanted to be sure Mia was ok. He ran over to her and kissed her face and she hugged him. She wasn't scared of him at all. It was like they both knew that it was an accident, a split second decision Boo Boo made that changed all of our lives forever. Jenny and I knew what we had to do, but it didn't make things an easier.
The next day I took Rudy to be euthanized. It was the hardest thing I have ever done. I had him for 10 years and he had been a loyal dog. He was severely abused before I got him and has always been a little grumpy. It took him a long time to trust people even me totally. Before Mia he was our baby and we spoiled him. We both loved him so much. I feel really guilty about everything. He had always been really good with Mia and put up with her constant tormenting until last Wednesday.
Mia has been asking about Boo Boo all the time. She will say, "Boo Boo hurt." and point to her eye. Then, "Boo Boo gone." She really misses him and asks for him a couple time a day. We told her that Boo Boo hurt her and he had to go away and he went to heaven where he can't hurt anybody and nobody can hurt him. That it is okay to miss him and we all still love him and he still loves us.
I keep thinking if only I had done this or that. If I had been watching closer or made Rudy get off the couch then all this wouldn't have happened. Mia wouldn't have to possibly have a scar and gone through so much pain and my dog would still be here. So that is that and I am tired of missing my dog, being sad, and feeling guilty.



13 comments:
Alright, I'm still crying.
I love you guys SO much and I'm so friggin', terribly sorry that all of this had to happen. I will say that the pics do not look as bad as I was expecting. She will heal.
It will take Momma longer to heal. Every time A and L get hurt, it is instantly so clear how it could have been avoided (- read how I could have avoided it). duh! But that's why they're called accidents.
I wish I was there. I wish I could do more. Many ((hugs)) to you and Mimi and many heaven hugs for Rudy.
;-(
I don't have the words to tell you how sorry I am - for your family, your daughter and your dog. I am crying so hard, because it I totally "get it." I just want to curl up in the fetal position and have a good cry...for you, Mia and Rudy.
Sending you all huge hugs. I know Rudy will be in your heart forever, and I am so sorry this happened. Love, Jules
Well..I'm a total dog lover but....you did the right thing and after seeing the pictures of Mia's face how could you ever trust him with her again. You were lucky,it wasn't worse. To much of a risk, it breaks my heart but...Mia is first. With that said I'm sorry for your loss, it will take time to heal, no quilt! You did what any momma would have done. I'm so sorry...poor Mia, her face looks so sore. Time does heal.....
Poor Mia, Poor Momma. I agree with Donna, it will take Momma a lot longer to heal.
Bless her little heart. Praying she has a speedy recovery.
Wow. We are so so sorry for all of you that this awful accident happened. (It was an accident - try and remember that.) But I so feel your pain and hurt and guilt and frustration.
We're sending happy thoughts your way. So glad Mia is ok.
SO sorry to hear about Mia and your fur baby as well! She's going to heal in time and things will be better soon!
omg gwen i'm totally broken down in tears. you told me but you didnt' TELL me. i am so sorry for you, for jenny, for mia, for boo. my heart and love and prayers are with all of you. wow. wow. wow.
Gwen, I am so sorry that Mia was hurt. Poor Mia and poor Mommas! How scary and sad for all of you.
Kathy
Gwen,
I am so sorry that this has happened. We just went through this ourselves with our little lady and I know how horribly scary it all it. I am also sorry for the loss of your pet but you made the right decision.
You may feel guilt or keep running through the what-if's... But really... The fault doesn't lie with you. (I have to also keep telling myself this). I am so glad that Mia's injuries will all heal and when they are older our two can show off their beauty marks.
I know that Mia is getting extra lovin from both her momma's... But make sure to take some time for yourselves and allow yourselves to deal with this also.
If you need to talk or anything please shoot me an email or give me a call.
*hugs* to all of you
Denise
So how is Mia doing? And how about you? We're thinking about all of you and hoping you're doing ok.
i have tears in my eyes....poor mia, poor mommas, poor dog. sad, sad, sad....i am glad that mia is "ok." but that poor little face makes me sad. :( heal quickly little one!
brook "mommytoeli"
OMG how could I have missed this post. I'm so sorry that this had to happen to you guys. How scary and heartbreaking for you. Poor Mia's little face. What a terrible story. It will get better and you definately did the right but so hard thing. Big Onnie hugs to all of you.
Love,
Debbie (Kel's mom, Skylar's Onnie)
Oh Gwen! I am so sad to hear this. I'm a fellow animal lover too and I can hear the pain in your words. Hugs to you!!
Post a Comment